- ¼ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1¾ cups whipping cream
- 1 cup Sandhill Crane Vineyards dessert wine
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup Michigan maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Sandhill Crane Vineyards dessert wine
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups dried apricots, chopped
1. Warm half-and-half and sugar in a medium saucepan until sugar has dissolved; stirring constantly.
2. Whisk together egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle warmed half-and-half into egg yolks while whisking. Return to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly and coats back of spoon, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Strain mixture into a medium bowl, add cream and wine; chill thoroughly.
4. Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions.
5. Preheat oven to 375°.
6. Combine oats, walnuts, oil, syrup, wine and salt in a large bowl. Divide oat mixture between 2 rimmed baking sheets; spread evenly. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden; stirring halfway through. Cool and stir in apricots.
7. Scoop ice cream into serving dish and top with granola. Drizzle with additional maple syrup or dessert wine.
Yield: 4 cups ice cream and 8 cups granola
Chef’s Note: Choose any Sandhill Crane Vineyards light-colored dessert wine such as Dolce (fortified apple wine), Annie’s MapleShine (unfiltered maple sap wine) or Late Harvest Riesling. Use any remaining granola as a quick and delicious breakfast.