- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 pounds fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup dry vermouth
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1, Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes or until soft and translucent.
2, Add peaches, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vermouth, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper; stir to combine. Bring peach mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Cool slightly. Serve with grilled pork, chicken or fish.
Yield: 6 cups