- 1 ¼ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, chilled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ¼ cup dried Montmorency cherries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 1 whole egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400o. Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place oats in food processor and grind to the consistency of flour. Add all-purpose flour, sugar and baking powder; pulse to combine. Add butter and lemon zest to flour mixture; pulse until mixture resembles cornmeal. Place flour mixture in a large bowl.
3. Combine milk and egg in a separate small bowl. Add milk mixture and cherries to flour mixture. Mix until dough comes together; lightly knead six to eight times and form into a disc.
4. Place dough on prepared baking sheet and press into a 7-inch circle. Cut lines into, but not through, to create eight wedges. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until very lightly brown.
5. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over warm scones, garnish with zest and cut to serve.
Yield: 8 servings