Discover the difference between these two food preservation methods with recipes to try
- ½ gallon Cook’s Dairy Farm whole milk
- ½ cup plain yogurt with live active cultures
1. Heat milk in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until about 200° or right below boiling, stirring constantly. Take milk off heat and cool until just warm; stir occasionally.
2. Place yogurt in a medium bowl and add 1 cup of warm milk; whisk until smooth. Pour tempered yogurt into remaining warm milk and whisk to combine. Cover with a lid and place in a turned-off oven. Turn on oven light and leave milk in oven 4 hours or overnight without disturbing.
3. Remove yogurt from oven and place in a covered container in refrigerator. Reserve 1/2 cup yogurt for next batch of yogurt. Consume within 2 weeks.
Cook’s Note: The longer the yogurt rests in the oven, the thicker and more tart it becomes.