- 8 medium ears corn, shucked and cleaned
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- 1 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Reserved corn
1. Heat grill to medium. Drizzle fresh ears of corn with oil; season with salt and pepper. Place corn on grill for 12 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally to char on all sides. Remove to cutting board and cool completely. Cut kernels off cob and set aside.
2. Preheat a large griddle pan to medium heat.
3. Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
4. Combine milk, oil, egg and honey in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry; mix until just blended. Fold in 4½ cups grilled corn to batter. Set aside remaining corn for garnish.
5. Pour ¼ cup batter onto greased preheated griddle and flatten slightly. Cook 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter, placing cooked cakes in a warm oven.
6. Whisk together yogurt, crème fraiche, chives, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside sauce.
7. Serve warm elote cakes topped with sauce, reserved corn, feta cheese and cilantro.