- 8 quarts water
- 8 cups sugar
- 1 bushel pears, peeled, cored and sliced (about 50 pounds)
- 23 to 25 quart jars, sterilized per canning instructions
1. Place 4 quarts water and 4 cups sugar in a stockpot over medium heat, add sugar.
2. Stir until sugar is dissolved and barely simmering; do not boil.
3. Place prepared pears in syrup and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Remove pears to quart jars with slotted spoon.
5. Fill jars leaving ½ inch space on top.
6. Release trapped air bubbles with knife.
7. Top pears with simmering sugar syrup.
8. Wipe rims and top with lid and ring. Repeat with remaining water, sugar and pears.
9. Pack and process according to water bath instructions for 25 minutes.
10. Remove and let sit for 24 hours before consuming.