- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400. Place garlic cloves in small piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil, loosely close and bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly before squeezing garlic from skin.
2. Add roasted garlic cloves, basil, pine nuts, cheese, salt and pepper to food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, scraping down sides as needed. Drizzle in remaining oil while processor is running until well combined. Toss with cooked pasta or use as a condiment for grilled meats or a marinade.
Yield: 1 cup pesto
Cook’s Tip: Place pesto in ice cube trays, cover with a thin layer of olive oil and freeze overnight. Remove from ice cube tray and place in a zip-top freezer-safe bag for up to 6 months.