- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, rough chopped and cooked (reserving bacon fat)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 large bunch collard greens, de-spined and rough chopped (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups peeled, 1-inch cubed Jerusalem artichokes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup (optional)
1. Heat reserved bacon fat in a large saucepan. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sauté about 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add nutmeg; sauté another 1 minute. Add apple cider, stir and scrape bottom of pan; add collard greens. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425°.
3. Place Jerusalem artichokes, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and golden; set aside.
4. Serve greens and cooking liquid in a soup bowl topped with roasted Jerusalem artichokes and crumbled cooked bacon. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
Yield: 4 Servings