Welcome spring with recipes for a Michigan salad, trout with spring vegetables and morel and asparagus toast
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 1 whole garlic clove, sliced
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 6 ounces pea shoots
- 4 ounces fresh spring peas, shelled and blanched
- 2 small fresh beets, peeled, roasted and julienned
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine all dressing ingredients except mayonnaise in a food processor. Purée until smooth. Transfer dressing to a small bowl and whisk in mayonnaise. Cover and store in refrigerator.
2. Combine pea shoots and peas in a small bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Spoon 2 tablespoons dressing on each of 2 individual salad plates. Top dressing with beets and pea shoot mix. Top with goat cheese. Serve immediately.
Yield: 2 salads
Chef’s Note: Using remaining dressing as a marinade, dipping sauce or spread for a sandwich.