- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 whole garlic cloves, split lengthwise
- 1 ¼ cups gruyere, shredded
- 1 ¼ cups smoked mozzarella, shredded and divided
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- ¼ cup caramelized onions (see note)
- ¼ teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 10 ounces (about three medium) Yukon Gold potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 6 ounce (about 1 large) sweet potatoes, very thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350oF. Coat 1 ½ quart casserole pan with butter then rub pan with cut side of split garlic cloves.
2. Combine gruyere, ¾ cup mozzarella, cream, ginger, garlic, onion, caramelized onion, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and optional white pepper and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Add sliced potatoes and toss gently to cover potatoes in cheese mixture.
3. Place potatoes in prepared casserole pan. Sprinkle with reserved ½ cup mozzarella.
4. Bake one hour or until golden on top and potatoes are tender. Serve hot.
Chef’s Note: To make caramelized onions, warm two teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and two teaspoons salted butter over low heat in a large shallow pan. Add a finely sliced medium Spanish onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.