- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup Michigan dried cherries, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 8 minutes or until soft and very slightly golden; stirring frequently.
2. Add water, cherries, sugar and mustard seeds to the onions; cook until most of liquid is evaporated.
3. Add cider vinegar slowly and reduce heat to simmer. Cook about 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick. Stir in salt and pepper.
4. Remove from heat and cool. Serve as a topping for roasted pork, grilled chicken, cheese and crackers or a sandwich spread.
Yield: 1¼ cups