- 5 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- ¼ teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 whole dried bay leaf
- 4 cups red lentils
- 10 cups water
- 1½ tablespoons salt
1. Heat oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds; cook until they begin to sizzle and pop. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Reduce heat to medium.
2. Add turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek, chili powder and bay leaf to the onions. Cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes; stirring constantly.
3. Add lentils, water and salt; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
4. Serve with fresh chopped cilantro and a drizzle of chili oil.
Yield: 16 servings