- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 1 teaspoo
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces Brinery tempeh, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 small avocado
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 slices Zingerman’s Bakehouse rustic Italian bread
- 2 slices Green Things Farm Golden Monarch heirloom tomato
- ¾ cup Tantre Farm arugula
1. Combine paprika, cumin, chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture over each side of the sliced tempeh to coat.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons oil. Cook tempeh 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
3. Mash flesh of avocado. Mix in garlic, lime juice and ¼ teaspoon salt; set aside.
4. Brush 1 tablespoon oil on bread and toast. Spread ½ of the avocado mixture on 1 slice of bread. Top with tempeh, tomato, arugula and another slice of bread. Slice in half and serve warm.
Yield: 1 sandwich
Courtesy of Chef Matthew Morrison, Jolly Pumpkin, Ann Arbor