Welcome spring with recipes for a Michigan salad, trout with spring vegetables and morel and asparagus toast
- 1 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 4 ounces morel mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped chives
- 4 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices hearty bread (Pugliese, sourdough or whole wheat), grilled or toasted
- 4 large eggs, poached or fried
1. Place goat cheese in a small bowl. Stir in a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, set aside.
2. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add asparagus, cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms and stock. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove cover, add cream and cook until reduced and slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chives, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
3. Spread goat cheese over 4 toasted bread slices. Divide asparagus and mushroom mixture evenly over each slice and drizzle with sauce. Top with prepared egg and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings