- 2 cups cooked green split peas, cooled
- 4 cups baby spinach, packed
- ½ cup hot sauce
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup yellow corn meal
- 3 to 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups sliced okra
- ¼ to ½ cup canola oil
1. Combine cooked split peas and spinach in food processor. Add hot sauce and buttermilk; process until smooth, scraping sides down as needed. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
2. Whisk eggs into split pea mixture. Add salt, sugar, baking powder, corn meal and 3 cups flour, stirring until combined. Add additional flour if too loose. Fold in okra.
3. Heat ¼ cup oil in a 12-inch sauté pan. Add 1/3 cup fritter dough and flatten with back of measuring cup. Cook 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Continue with remaining dough and oil as needed. Place on paper towels to drain. Serve hot.
Cook’s Tip: Chef Brian’s restaurant cooking method for fritters is deep-frying in 350° oil. Place small balls of fritter dough in oil and fry until golden, flipping halfway through cooking.
Yield: 26 fritters