Discover the difference between these two food preservation methods with recipes to try
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 10 whole allspice berries
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1. Place vinegar, water, sugar, salt, allspice berries and thyme in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
2. Place sliced red onion in a medium bowl and pour hot vinegar mixture over onions.
3. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes; store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Cook’s Note: Pickled red onions are great on salads, sandwiches, tacos and pizzas.