- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1¼ cup white cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Heat oil in a medium sauté pan. Add onions and cook 20–25 minutes or until lightly golden. Add garlic and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes; let cool.
2. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with oil. Combine tomatoes, flour, pesto, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper with onion mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish; set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375o. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Add butter to flour mixture and cut in with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add cheese and buttermilk, mixing until all dry ingredients are moist.
4. Place heaping tablespoons of cornmeal topping on top of tomato mixture and bake for 30–35 minutes or until tomato filling bubbles and cornmeal is golden brown.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings