- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pinch coarse salt
- Pinch ground white pepper
Cook asparagus in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 1 minute; drain and chill quickly. Set aside.
Heat a large sauté pan on high heat; add 1 tablespoon canola oil and mushrooms. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and a pinch of salt and white pepper; cook 1 minute. Remove from pan; set aside.
Replace large sauté pan on high heat; add remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil; add asparagus and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly caramelized. Add red pepper, a pinch of salt and white pepper. Remove from pan; set aside.
Replace large sauté pan on medium-low heat; add oyster sauce and soy sauce. Return cooked asparagus and mushrooms until heated through. Serve hot over rice.
Yield: 4 servings.
Chef ’s Note: Decrease the crushed red pepper for a less spicy flavor.